Mr. Kalina attended the University of Western Ontario (now known as Western University) where he earned his law degree in June 1990. He was called to the bar in Ontario in February 1992. In June 1998, he received accreditation from the University of Waterloo as a Mediator and Arbitrator. With over 30 years of experience, he brings a deep understanding of litigation to his client’s needs.
Experience from both sides of the law
Mr. Kalina was employed as a part-time prosecutor from 1998 to 2008 where he was prosecuting people accused of crimes in bail and trial courts. He understands the variables inherent in both sides of a criminal prosecution and can anticipate the prosecution of the offences for which his clients are accused.
Mr. Kalina has successfully handled complex cases and provides his clients with a vigorous and comprehensive defence based on a careful consideration of all the evidence and legal issues.
Mr. Kalina has extensive trial experience with adults and youth in the areas of:
- Impaired Driving
- Bribery and Corruption
- Assault – domestic, non-domestic
- Theft, Possession of Stolen Property
- Robbery, Break and Enter
- Fraud – Tax, Credit Card, Financial Instruments
- Child Pornography – Possession, Distribution
- Customs Act – Smuggling, Misrepresentation
- Drugs – Possession, Trafficking, Production, Importing
- Mischief and Damage to Property
- Sexual Assault and Sexual Interference
He has defended cases involving serious allegations such as:
- Possession and Use of Weapons
- Impaired Driving Causing Death
- Dangerous Driving Causing Death
- Criminal Negligence
- Criminal Negligence Causing Death
- Aggravated Assault
- Counselling Murder
- Attempt Murder and
Mr. Kalina has appeared as counsel before various Federal administrative tribunals such as the:
- Immigration and Refugee Board, Immigration Division for
- Admissibility hearings and
- Detention reviews.
- Immigration and Refugee Board, Immigration Appeal Division for appeals of:
- Loss of permanent residence status due to:
- failure to meet residency requirements.
- Spousal sponsorship refusals
- Parental sponsorship refusals
- Medical inadmissibility
- Loss of permanent residence status due to:
- Immigration and Refugee Board, Refugee Determination Division
- Employment Insurance Commission
- Employment Insurance Board of Referees
- Canada Revenue Agency – Adjudication Division.
- Canada Border Services Agency for:
- Detention of person
- Seizure of goods at border crossing
- Entry into Canada as a student, worker or visitor.
- Customs valuation issues
- Canada Border Services Agency – Adjudication Division
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for:
- Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications to Enter and Remain in Canada
- Pre-Removal Risk Assessment Applications
- Admissibility Investigations
- Entrepreneur Applications
- Investor Applications
- Provincial Nominee Program Applications
- Skilled Worker Applications
- Study Permit Applications
- Employment Permit Applications
- Temporary Resident Applications
- Criminal Rehabilitation Applications
Mr. Kalina has appeared as counsel before:
- The Federal Court of Canada for judicial review of immigration matters and revocation of Canadian Citizenship.
- The Ontario Court of Justice for virtually all types of criminal, drug and youth charges
- The Ontario Superior Court of Justice on summary conviction appeals, serious criminal charges before a judge and jury as well as serious criminal charges before a judge without a jury.
- The Divisional Court of Ontario for judicial review of tribunal decisions.
- The Court of Appeal for Ontario on behalf of defendants responding to a Crown appeal or a defendant appealing an unfavourable decision from a lower court.
Mr. Kalina has appeared before Provincial tribunals such as the:
- Ontario Review Board
- Criminal Injuries Compensation Board
- Ontario Parole Board.
- Coroner Inquest
Credentials & Leadership
Mr. Kalina has lectured his colleagues on issues relating to the immigration consequences of criminal charges and the expungement of criminal records.
Mr. Kalina regularly gives lectures on criminal law and assists high school students in preparing for mock trial competitions in Peel Region.
Mr. Kalina has mentored students-at-law and lawyers newly called to the bar. He mentored articling students-at-law as part of the Law Society of Ontario’s Articling Relationship Mentor Program.
Mr. Kalina has mentored and was articling principal to many graduates of the Paralegal program at Sheridan College and Trios College. In addition, many Secondary school and University students completed their study term placement under his tutelage.
Mr. Kalina has appeared in the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun, City TV, Global News, CTV news, and community newspapers.
Mr. Kalina is a current or past member of the:
- Peel Criminal Lawyers Association
- Peel Law Association
- Criminal Lawyers Association of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Brampton Board of Trade.
Mr. Kalina was on the Board of Directors of the John Howard Society of Peel-Halton-Dufferin and served as vice-president. He is a lifetime member of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
Contact Mr. Kalina to assist you in your time of need, whether before the court, police or Government tribunals.